Tipi Encampment & Contest
Welcome to the National Powwow 17 Tipi Camp! We hope we have a great turnout of tipis and urge you to participate in the tipi contest. $50 travel money will be given to the first 20 tipis on-site at our NPW16 Tipi Encampment (whether entering the contest or not). Camping fees will also be waived for pre-registered tipi campers. Please return your completed Tipi Contest Registration Form to Tipi Coordinator, Tim Deane (TWDbear@aol.com) to reserve your space. We will have a judging team evaluate the tipis based on specific criteria. The top 10 tipis will be recognized with ribbons and the top 3 (like the Olympics gold, silver and bronze) will receive special recognition. Special tipi features at this NPW include:
- Friday morning Welcome breakfast and $50 travel cash to 1st 20 tipis in camp
- Friday and Saturday Afternoon Tipi Camp Open House for the general public, Tipi Judging on Saturday with awards given out Sunday Afternoon Dance Session
- Tipi related seminars
- Gordon and Janice Collins Awards for #1 Tipi presentation on Saturday night at the dance
Guidelines for Tipi Judging: The primary emphasis will be on how well the tipi is pitched and furnished according to (self-identified) era and tribe of the owner:
- Tipi Pitching
- Outside Tipi Decoration, streamers, beadwork, quillwork, etc
- Outside Encampment Area of Tipi, cooking area, shade areas, etc
- Interior Decorations, furniture, containers, wood storage, etc.
Please – No bare ground fire. Pets are discouraged. Dogs must to be on a leash and current shot record must be available. Thank You! Please contact our Tipi Contest coordinator Tim Deane @ TWDBear@aol.com with any questions. Download the 2017 NPW Tipi Competition Rules & Registration Form
Get ready to dance!